Like most Americans this time of year, I’m trying to detox from the “Holiday Hangover” in terms of food over-indulgence. The first week of January, my fridge turns into a chilled gardenscape. I’m drinking my detox teas, upping my hydration game, and going grainless/flourless and sugarless wherever I can. However, I am human. I can only eat so many vegetables and salads before I break down and reach for the bread. It’s hard to feel satisfied without grains in my life. So I came up with this Flourless Banana Oat Protein Muffin recipe to satisfy my hankering without sacrificing my health goals.
The resulting muffins are perfectly dense and chewy without any added flour, and utterly satisfying without being overly sweet. They are quick to put together and they totally trick my brain into believing I’m enjoying something indulgent, although the only sweeteners are pure maple syrup and bananas. I hope you enjoy them too!
- 2 1/4 Cups Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats or Minute Oats
- 1 tsp Baking Soda
- 1 scoop Whey Protein Powder
- 1 T Flax seed
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 3-4 medium bananas mashed
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup maple syrup or honey
- Optional: granola topping, I used Mama Chia brand "Chia Vitality Granola" in Wild Blueberry Clusters
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Lightly grease muffin pan (12-muffin cups total) with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- Combine dry ingredients (first 5 ingredients) in a blender or food processor and pulse until well combined and fine consistency.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas and combine remaining wet ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients to blender or food processor and blend just until combined (30 seconds - 1 minute).
- Pour batter into muffin cups, filling almost to the top.
- Optional: Top with your favorite granola blend, seeds, or nuts.
- Bake at 350° for 14 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean (time may vary based on your oven).
- Cool for 1 minutes, then carefully (they are still hot) remove from muffin tins and allow to cool completely before storing.
* Nutritional Information obtained from SparkRecipes recipe nutrition calculator